According to an article at USA TODAY, the "virtual console" service of Ninentdo's upcoming Revolution game system will emulate games that originally appeared on Sega's Genesis (aka. Mega Drive) and NEC/TTI's TurboGrafx (aka. PC Engine and TurboDuo) in addition to emulating the older Nintendo hardware as well. These games will be available for download at a price through their online service. Admittedly, I like the older games from these systems and their simplistic style moreso than the graphically rich games of today.... and while I do play modern games, I'd rather have this console that lets me pick from all the older games while supporting all the new ones too. If you think about it, this is the same model they've used with Game Boy and DS where they support the games all the way back to titles from the original black-and-white screened game boy of 1989.
Between that, wi-fi out of the box, free online play for purchased games, a mocap controller and a price that will likely spank that of the Xbox360 and PS3... what more could you want? After years of declining market share, it looks like Nintendo might have the right formula to re-establish themselves as the leader in home video game consoles.
My only major concern is that I wonder what their strategy is to capture the dollars of the FPS console players that currently flock to Halo and other titles of the genre which haven't enjoyed success on nintendo consoles since Goldeneye on the N64.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You like those old games? You've got a collection of computers. Use an emulator. Okay, the idea is sort of cool. But it's not completely new. You can play Playstation games on Playstation 2. Nintendo is not out to corner the market in the United States. They are most interested in the Japanese market. They will do well there, and here, but they are really staying in the niche that they have established for themselves. I certainly won't be getting a new console anytime soon, unless I win the lotto, or something like that. And I still think Puzzle Fighter is cooler than anything out today. It may live on for hundreds of years, in the way chess has. One day, I'd like to see Puzzle Fighter with holographic characters dukin' it out in the middle of the screen, or whatever will replace the screen, with the exact same gameplay which will have become canon, even after the copyright expires.
Post a Comment