2007-05-02

funny how life changes so much sometimes

Its funny how sometimes your life changes, sometimes drastically, and you don't even realize it until you look back in retrospect.

Case in point... i never thought i'd be married, and yet my 8th anniversary is less than a week away. i also once thought it desirable to chase fame and fortune, i now tend to shun these things by seeing people for their hearts, thoughts and actions and not by the length of their yacht. Also, my degree is in computer science to become a computer programmer, yet i have never worked as a programmer - in fact, the closest thing to programming i did for a living was i worked as a software QA engineer for Lucent back in the day. I've also worked as a pc support tech, a unix administrator (which saw me doing lots of bourne shell scripting - so sorta programmerish i guess) and now i am a network admin with a strong focus in windows server operating systems.

Also, i once was a hothead ready to fight people, and i'm now a pacifist. I once stuffed my face with all things beef only to have given up eating beef and pork since 2001. Incidentally, I was also once nearly 230 pounds of pure lard, and am now 165. I also espoused the sedentary lifestyle, but now walk on a track 4 or 5 days a week and own a home so i'm constantly landscaping among other physically demanding tasks.

I also grew up being nearly deathly allergic to cats, but am owned by three of them.

The kicker is that i also have two kids, and while i always wanted a kid or two, i never saw myself as being capable of being a responsible parent. And yes, I'd rather go to cub scouts with the oldest than waste an evening at a bar.

What happened to me? Am I simply mabus evolved? Or have I turned myself into the anti-mabus.

Heck, even my previously conservative viewpoints on politics and society has evolved into something far more progressive after years of becoming more and more disgusted with the status quo.

Some things have stayed the same though.. I'm still a geek through and through with a passion for understanding the logical principals that drive today's technologies, and I'm still a music geek that appreciates everything from ambient, shoegazing and electropop to twee, hyphy, industrial, trance, IDM and post-modern lounge.

So, as the old saying goes: "where ever you go, there you are"

No comments: