2006-04-13

meet with Dr. Hayhurst on Saturday, Rep. Mark Souder on Monday

Mark Souder is coming to my work on Monday.

Yep, the man himself, the congressman who represents the 3rd district here in indiana.... and if you've been paying attention to me (okay, so you haven't - i don't blame you) you'll know that i am not too fond of him. in fact, i'm going to a campaign rally saturday night for Dr. Tom Hayhurst who is running against him in the fall elections.

Aside from the fact that the executives at my work think they can bring in politicians to whom they've personally donated alot of money to their campaigns, with which i disagree, I will be doing my homework this weekend and trying to come up with some really tough questions to pose to him in front of a large audience. I don't want to defame or ridicule him, but rather just put him on the spot to let my coworkers realize just how little he cares about serving his constituents in return for advancing the agenda of his poltical party. In any event, it should be interesting.

They did this before the 2004 election as well when they brought in the candidate for governor. I just tend to think that this is a huge breach of ethics, because the executives seem uninterested in bringing in campaigning politicians with differing viewpoints or those that the execs have not donated money to their campaign. Since I really love my job and my company, as I feel they take excellent care of my family in return for hard work, I am saddened that they are trying to now preach political values to my and my co-workers. Fortunately the meeting is optional, but nonetheless I believe that equal access to candidates from a company that prides itsself on being an outstanding corporate citizen would only serve to bolster its image in the community.

While its not hard to find info on Rep. Souder since he's held the seat since 1994 (despite his 1994 promise to limit congressional terms to 12 years for any single person), finding info on Dr. Hayhurst is a bit more difficult. But in any event, Dr. Hayhurst has been an elected councilman for Fort Wayne for the last 10 years, co-founded and operates a free pulmonary clinic, and works at the local Tuberculosis clinic. One position he shares with Souder though is taking better medical care for our Veterans and even started an activist group - Veterans for Better Health Care.

Dr. Hayhurst's web site
Rep. Mark Souder's web site


I plan on trying to get some media online for the rally on Saturday night which i'll forward to Hayhurst's campaign. Also, I will try to get some pictures of Souder's visit on Monday to post.

PS: Mr. Souder, with all due respect, I really do feel that its time you move on and go back to your family business so that us Hoosiers from Fort Wayne, Northeast Indiana, the nation and the rest of us in the 3rd district can be better represented.

No comments: