2006-02-15

Commentary on olympic curling

Okay, I, like many other people around the planet, have been watching the winter olympics on television. Most notably however, I've been sucked in by the sport known as curling. I'm not really sure why I like it because it is a particularly slow-paced game and not only requires precision motor control to deliver good shots, but because it is also very cerebral as each throw of the stone requires intricate planning. Maybe its the ice, maybe its the odd intonations uttered by the players who speak other languages, or maybe its the canadian accents of the announcers that makes this sport so compelling for a geek like me to watch. The flow of the game is very entrancing (save for the occasional time-out) and the level of etiquette amongst competing teams is incredible.

Being American and not living near the Canadian border, we rarely see this sport on tv so maybe that also adds to the mystique and wonder about a game that is little-known amongst us staters. In any regards, this post is an open call to ESPN and other sports networks to start carrying more non-olympic coverage of this outstanding sport instead of inundating us with 24 hours a day of high stakes poker among people who show little to no emotion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE CURLING! Watched about two-point-five hours of it the other day!