2006-01-11

What rhymes with Alito? Burrito?

Okay... just like every other good American, I've been following the Senate judiciary committee hearings. And just like those other good Americans, I've got an opinion on him too.

If I was Dr. Phil, and President Bush was on my show and we were discussing Alito's nomination, I'd be saying "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?" and here's why.


ABORTION

The guy has already ruled in cases as a circuit Judge where it was very clear in his stance against abortion, and written strongly worded papers that argued against the right to choice while he worked as an assistant in the Office of the Solicitor General. All clues that he wants Roe v. Wade overturned despite the rhetoric he spewed in the hearing.

DOMESTIC SPYING and EXECUTIVE POWER

Big issue lately. Wiretaps and the like are supposed to have judicial oversight to protect Americans against unconstitutional uses, yet Alito has written documents defending executive authority to the contrary. And while I think that we as a people have the right to be protected against crime and terrorism, it should be done so with some oversight so that people don't end up incarcerated for years without charges filed, or worse: dead. This is really a no brainer people! Our civil liberties that we have enjoyed since the First Amendment are seriously at stake if Alito is confirmed.

POLICE AUTHORITY

Alito dissented on a case where a 10 year old girl was illegaly strip searched without a warrant and sided with the police. Why, pray tell, would anyone side with the police on an action like that involving minors? It is absolutely ludicrous and an extreme overstepping of authority, but if Alito has his way, he'd allow things like this to take place. If you have children, you most likely would agree.

ROLE OF JUDICIARY

Now, if what I just described up above sounds like he doesn't care about personal rights (which he obviously doesn't), let me tell you what he said on the issue: "My general philosophy is that the judiciary has a very important role to play ... the judiciary has to protect rights. And it should be vigorous in doing that." That is just a straight-faced lie.


Please, call your senators, write them or send them a telegram via the pony express... but whatever you do, express your discontent with Bush's nomination of Alito and do it soon!

I have a feeling, call it a hunch, that all of the goosestepping republican senators are going to vote yes instead of listening to their constituents. All 55 republicans senators. I can only hope I'm wrong and the senate really does act to serve the people for once.

No comments: